Tuesday 7 June 2016

Roadside assistance Calgary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
At one point in my entire life I obtained the opportunity to work with an ocean going supply vessel in the Beaufort Sea in northern Canada. This would definitely be one of many toughest things I ever did. I obtained the opportunity to visit the north where they make the "big money ".I obtained the decision on Friday and was gone by Monday!towing companies Calgary
We landed in Calgary and had to remain the night. Then 24 hours later we were wear a cargo plane bound for the Eskimo village of Tuktoyaktuk on the shore of the Beaufort Sea. The flight was very different. Not just a luxury flight by any means. Half the plane was seats and another half was all our kit bags and luggage. Sooner or later we passed the tree line of Canada, that's where in actuality the trees end and you only have tundra, this causes a depth perception change or it did for me. I possibly could no more tell how high we were. We started exceeding pools of water that I can only just describe as looking like puddles on a dirt road! Then we begin to descend and let me inform you without depth perception that's a scary feeling. The next thing I am aware, we are landing on a frozen dirt road and coming to a halt. This road is employed by ground traffic and air traffic! Can you imagine that. You drive down the road and the street signs say " Watch and give way to airplanes ".No airport to speak of.
There have been three types of ship you can get posted too:
Supply vessel: Their job would be to take supplies to the oil drilling ships and off load any used materials they could have. Then the supply ship backs off about 1 mile and either circles the drill ship or goes back and forth awaiting an alternative supply ship. This is in the event anything goes wrong on the drill ship and the crew needs to be evacuated.
Drill Ship: This ship includes a drilling derrick about it and needless to say is constantly trying to find oil. It's anchored with 8 anchors. Four at each end. This is for stability. They pretty much stay put so if you are stationed there, the scenery doesn't change much.towing Calgary
Barge: This is a very flat vessel. It has low walls around it and doesn't feel too safe when your about it apparently. I'm not sure what it's purpose was, but I'm glad I didn't have to go there.
I was stationed on the supply ships, which was good because I obtained to return and forth out to sea.  One day we got the decision to rescue a coast guard ship that hit ice and was sinking. We towed that ship entirely around Point Hope, Alaska where we had to transfer her over to a different ship to be towed to Vancouver, B.C. Which was in the roughest seas that I had ever seen. The swells were 15 feet high. What an event!!

No comments:

Post a Comment